DNSSEC and dynamic update

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Jul 16 23:48:13 UTC 2008

As long as named can find the zone's private key(s), it can update the
RRSIG and NSEC records for you. I've tested this, and used it while
leading training courses. This has been true since BIND 9.3, although
my understanding is that 9.3 couldn't differentiate between the ZSK
and KSK. I believe 9.4 has fixed this problem, but I haven't tested
this part.

The trick is to put the private key file where named expects to find
it. In Mark's example, the private key is in the same directory as the
zone. IIRC, with older versions, the private file goes in the working
directory.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice