simple (i think) problem updating to 9.5.0-P1

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Jul 16 21:45:06 UTC 2008

I think you have a lot of "issues" here, so let's try to sort them out
one at a time. :)

Andrew Kagan wrote:
| Hi All: I had bind 9.3.x installed on FreeBSD 6.2 from the ports...

I think you would be well served to update your base system to
6.3-Stable, however that's not a requirement. If you do, you'll get
9.3.5-P1 in the bargain. If however you want to run BIND 9.5.0-P1 from
the ports that's a good option as well.

| I don't remember now if it was running chrooted or not.

If you were using rc.conf to start named, it was running chrooted by
default.

| I was in a hurry

Don't do upgrades to critical infrastructure when you're in a hurry.
You usually end up taking more time than you would have otherwise. :)

| so I backed up named.conf and /var/named to my home directory and
downloaded the
| 9.5.0-P1 tarball

Backups == good. You should not need to do the 9.5.0-P1 install by
hand though, the ports have been updated for a long time now.

| I did a configure so that it would overwrite the existing port
install, and
| then did "make" and "make install" without any errors. I thought I'd
have to
| at a minimum restart for everything to take effect, but after
installing
| "named -v" showed 9.5.0!

'named -v' does not require named to be running to give you the
version number. However, if you did not actually restart named you
would still have been running the old one. (I did see your followup
though that said you successfully got the new one running.)

| I checked etc/namedb/named.conf and it was still my
| original 9.3.x config, so that did not get overwritten, and /var/named/
| still has all my NS files in it.

Neither of these things would be changed by installing the new BIND.

| However, in the system log, I'm getting the error:
|
| Jul 16 13:05:20 ns1 named[694]: starting BIND 9.5.0-P1 -t /var/named
- -u bind
| Jul 16 13:05:20 ns1 named[694]: /etc/namedb/named.conf:5: change
directory
| to '/var/named' failed: file not found

You almost certainly have either no directory option in named.conf,
or: directory "/var/named";

You want to have: directory "/etc/namedb";
and make sure that directory exists under /var/named.

What I would suggest you do is:
1. delete /etc/namedb (back up any files there if that's a real directory)
2. move /var/named to /var/named.bak
3. add the following to /etc/rc.conf[.local] if they are not already
there:
named_enable=yes
named_program=/usr/local/sbin/named
named_flags="-c /etc/namedb/named.conf"
4. install the dns/bind95 port
5. make sure that you don't have the named_chroot* variables set in
/etc/rc.conf[.local]
6. make sure that you do not have NO_BIND set in /etc/make.conf
7. run 'mergemaster -i' and let it install all the default files in
/var/named/etc
8. run '/etc/rc.d/named start' and make sure that everything starts up
alright.

Then I would use the stock named.conf file as a basis and add your own
zones to the proper locations in the pre-configured
/var/named/etc/namedb directory. That way future updates will be
transparent for you.

If you have any problems with this stuff I would suggest you ask on
freebsd-questions at freebsd.org, and feel free to cc me.

Good luck,

Doug