BIND 9.5.0-P1 Crash on Solaris 8

bsfinkel at anl.gov bsfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Jul 16 19:14:53 UTC 2008

Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org replied to my posting:

>Thanks.  This strongly indicates a race condition among threads, but I
>have currently no specific idea of how this can happen.  We'll
>probably need to add some more assertion checks to catch the bug in an
>earlier stage.
>
>I'll file a bug report on this issue to track it later.  In the mean
>time, your options are:
>
>- keep using it if this doesn't happen frequently.  from my past
>  experiences, this type of condition happens only very rarely, so you
>  may be able to accept it.
>- disable threads if you can accept the possibly decreased
>  performance.  this bug is very likely to be an inter-thread race,
>  and won't happen if you disable threads.
>- use 9.4 (either P1 or beta).  this is very likely to be specific to
>  9.5, so you should be fine with prior versions.
>
>Thanks,

This BIND happens to be on a Solaris 8 mail server that is being
replaced by an Ubuntu box this week.  I am in the process of building
BIND 9.5.0 on Solaris 10 for our other mail server cacheing-only DNS
Servers; I have some OpenSSL issues to resolve.  If I see this occur
on any other of our BIND 9.5.0 servers, I will report it.

Is there anything else you need from the core file?
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov