Another 9.5.1b1upgrade issue (annoying but not a show stopper)

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jul 15 23:45:32 UTC 2008

> I'm upgrading for 9.3.4 (Fedora core distro version) to 9.5.1b1 from
> source and I have a file permissions issue reading and writing the PID
> file that does not exist for 9.3.4.  I've seen a number of posting with
> the problem but no posted solutions.
> /var/run is owned by root and has permissions 755.  In the folder,
> /var/run/named is owned by the user "named" and has permissions 770, so
> the daemon, which runs as user "named" should have no problem reading,
> writing and deleting the PID file.  But, unless I change the permission
> to /var/run to 777 it fails to write the PID file and exits.  The logic
> of the permissions makes sense and it works with 9.3.4.  Any idea why
> it's failing with 9.5.1b1?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob Tanner
> UNIX Services Manager
> Linfield College

	I suspect Fedora move the open to before the setuid() call.
	This, however, prevents named removing the pid file on exit.

	IMHO pid files should be in "/var/run/<application>" rather
	than "/var/run" allowing appropriate permissions to be set
	on a per application basis.  "/var/run/<application>" can
	also be a symbol link for applications that are running
	chrooted.

	options {
		pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
	};