Caching name server setup problems

Michael Varre mike at jirc.com
Tue Jul 15 13:51:21 UTC 2008

Hi ya'll.  Been running bind for years, just never ran a caching name server
before now and I'm a bit confused on the setup.

I running it internally to serve local zones I have setup, and I would also
like it to act as the resolver for my internal machines that need to resolve
public hostnames.  In all the step by steps, they pretty much just say to
make sure you have your root zone setup and forwarders and that should be
it.

That's fine and dandy, but I don't see that my server is actually caching
anything.  I don't see where that cached data is being stored, and further
more I don't see any difference in query answer time from the first time I
try to resolve a host to any subsequent attempts.they are ALL 1ms.

Am I missing something here?  Thanks!