Vulnerability to cache poisoning -- the rest of the solution

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Jul 14 17:47:08 UTC 2008

My intent is to use the patched version from RedHat.  Their advisory on
the issue and update is at:
http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2008-0533.html

Specifically I'd be using what they call 9.3.4-6.0.2.P1.  I think this
is basically 9.3.4-P1 but is customized by RedHat to include fixes from
later BIND versions.  (See discussion with Adam Tkac of RedHat on list a
couple of weeks back about why he doesn't want to roll out later BIND
versions in updates.)

However, now I'm wondering if that will be sufficient.   Their notes in
that link and the two bug links referred to within it seem to suggest
the change was only to take the offending query port restriction out of
their sample named.conf (and of course I'd have to take it out of my
live one).   What you wrote makes me wonder if there wasn't a code
update needed to make it behave more like one of the later BIND versions
to do real port randomization.

It isn't clear to me whether or not they made any customization of the
code to address this or not.

I guess I'll try to update they have then run the dig test to see if it
really is giving me random ports at that point.