Port Range for avoid-v4-udp-ports OR port for resolv.conf nameserver

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Sun Jul 13 17:35:49 UTC 2008

At Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:33:28 -0500,
"Jim Hermann - UUN Hostmaster" <hostmaster at uuism.net> wrote:

> My upstream DNS does not accept queries on all UDP ports, so I end up with
> lots of udp unreachable messages.  The upstream DNS is totally unreachable
> outside the LAN, so it does not need to use other UDP ports.

I don't understand what this means.  What's 'my upstream DNS'?  Are
you using a forwarder, which is the upstream DNS?  Please provide more
specific network configuration in this situation.

> Is there are way to specify a port range in the "avoid-v4-udp-ports { port;
> ... };" statement?  I tried "avoid-v4-udp-ports { 51000-53000; );" and it
> was not accepted.

New beta versions support an explicit notation to specify a range:

  avoid-v4-udp-ports { range 51000 53000; };

If you cannot use a beta version, you could still specify the same
thing as follows:

  avoid-v4-udp-ports { 51000; 51001; 51002; ...; 52999; 53000; };

but this would be very inefficient (due to differences of the
underlying implementation between P1s and beta), and you'd probably
not want to do that.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.