9.3.5-P1 now issues "socket: too many open file descriptors"

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Sun Jul 13 01:59:25 UTC 2008

At Sat, 12 Jul 2008 17:35:18 -0700 (PDT),
afbtasa at gmail.com wrote:

> > Could you be more specific?
> >
> > - which version are you talking about (there are 3 new P1 versions and
> >   2 new beta versions)?
> > - which queries are you talking about?  Queries sent to the caching
> >   server (=named) from clients, or queries from the caching server to
> >   other authoritative servers?
> > - how much did the queries increase (e.g. 100qps to 200qps)?

> We installed BIND 9.5.0-P1; we note an increase in queries from our
> caching server to authoritative server.
> We noticece an 20/30% increase.

I don't see any reason for the query increase simply because named
uses random different ports.  But, if you have upgraded named from an
older major version (e.g. 9.4.x or 9.3.y) and if you don't specify
max-cache-size in named.conf, the default max-cache-size of 9.5
(=32MB) may decrease cache hit rate and increase the outgoing query
rate as a result.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya