Too many open files (not only BIND 9.5.0-P1)

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Fri Jul 11 18:04:06 UTC 2008

At Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:54:47 +0100,
Stacey Jonathan Marshall <Stacey.Marshall at Sun.COM> wrote:

> > I'd also like to know that how many sockets were actually opened when
> > you saw the 'too many open file descriptors' errors.

> /include/sys/types.h has it set to 256 under Solaris. That does appear
> to be the value that lib/isc/unix/socket.c would use.

In this case, that 256 is the hard limit, and it's quite small that
even a moderately busy server can suffer from a 'too many open files'
error.

Some OSes allow increasing FD_SETSIZE at application-compile time.  I
don't know about Solaris 10, but it may be worth trying.  At least
it seems to work for some user:

http://marc.info/?l=bind-users&m=121569817026335&w=2

Another note: the new beta versions (for Solaris) do not depend on
FD_SETSIZE.  You don't have to tweak this constant if you use a beta.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.