Interpreting debug messages

Lakes, Dale Dale.Lakes at AntaresSolutions.com
Thu Jul 10 19:27:03 UTC 2008

Not sure you want that comma in there: 127,0.0.1

Dale Lakes

-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users-bounce at isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounce at isc.org] On
Behalf Of Adam Smith
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 10:55 PM
To: comp-protocols-dns-bind at isc.org
Subject: Interpreting debug messages

Hello,
I am setting up a nameserver on a FreeBSD O/S 6.x platform. BIND 9.3.1

I am attempting to identify and correct errors from the debug log file,
which apparently is the named.run file, correct? Using debug level 3

However, there are some output lines on which I seek clarification

[i] /etc/namedb/named.conf:14: undefined ACL '127,0.0.1'

    Line 14 is "      listen-on       { 127,0.0.1; 192.168.50.73; } ;"
    1s ACL here "access control list" What is 'the control' needed here?

            _______________________________

[ii] not listening on any interfaces

    "      listen-on       { 127,0.0.1; 66.93.45.209; } ;"
    on line 14 of named.conf file, is the syntax flawed?

            _______________________________

[iii] zone xtufd.org/IN: skipping load: master file older than last load
          (and all zones in the named.conf file)

     Amazing, I haven't loaded any new files, at least so I think!

            _______________________________

[iv]dns_zone_maintenance: zone xtufd.org/IN: enter
             (several files all in named.conf)
     and then
     dns_zone_maintenance: zone id.server/CH: enter

     what is the significance of the IN vs CH ending

Don't see any other messages that might indicate failure, yet nslookup
returns =>
olaf # nslookup xtufd.org
olaf #

now sending a ping to the server
ping xtufd.org
PING xtufd.org.com (lll.mmm.nnn.ppp): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from lll.mmm.nnn.ppp: icmp_seq=0 ttl=51 time=65.500 ms
64 bytes from lll.mmm.nnn.ppp: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=65.396 ms
64 bytes from lll.mmm.nnn.ppp: icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=67.992 ms
64 bytes from lll.mmm.nnn.ppp: icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=67.130 ms
64 bytes from lll.mmm.nnn.ppp: icmp_seq=4 ttl=51 time=128.095 ms

--- xtufd.org.com ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 65.396/78.823/128.095/24.656 ms

returns this after a long delay

NOTE:The change from xtufd.org to xtufd.org.com and the IP # pointed to
is not even remotely related to the system ( an unknown domain )

Pinging from an external shell => the expected response
olaf2 % ping xtufd.org
ping: unknown host xtufd.org

http://www.antaressolutions.com/
 Industry Expertise. Intelligent Solutions.
Visit http://www.antaressolutions.com/
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure by law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from printing, storing, disseminating, distributing or copying this message. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Neither this information block, the typed name of the sender, nor anything else in this message is intended to constitute an electronic signature, unless a specific statement to the contrary is included in this message.
Thank you, Antares Management Solutions.