9.3.5-P1 now issues "socket: too many open file descriptors"

robert robert at spin.net.uky.edu
Thu Jul 10 18:12:23 UTC 2008

FYI,

I'm looking forward to the optimized releases since trying
out 9.3.5-P1 and 9.5.1b1.  For us 9.5.1b1 seems to be the most reasonable.
Perhaps the other releases would do better, havn't tried those.

Bind 9.5.1b1 performs better for us than 9.3.5-P1 on Solaris 9/10 here.
Bind 9.5.1b1 seems to be running roughly two times plus hotter
in terms of cpu, Bind 9.3.5-P1 was roughly ~12x more for us when
pre-testing over a period of hours. We also needed to adjust the
max file descriptors limit (ulimit -n) to 1024 since the default was 256.

Robert