How to define views that differ only minimally?

Marc Haber mh+bind-users at zugschlus.de
Thu Jan 31 23:44:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 07:45:38PM -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, and subject to a number
> of caveats, sometimes sortlists are a better option than views. E.g.
> define foo.zone.example to resolve to 10.8.0.1 *and* 85.214.68.41 and
> sortlist the answer accordingly. It looks like you're trying to do a
> NAT/split-name thing with this, however, so sortlisting would probably
> not be a good solution for you (don't want to leak 10.*.*.* addresses to
> the Internet).

Yes, you're right, I doubt that sortlists will help here. A typical
use case would be this: foo.zone.example is an Internet host with
address 85.214.68.41 and is also part of an OpenVPN system, where it
has the address 10.8.0.1. I would like to have clients be able to
connect to foo even when the VPN connection is not enabled (by having
foo.zone.example return 85.214.68.41 by default), but to connect via
the VPN when the tunnel is up. The reason for this is that clients are
frequently behind NAT and dynamic IP addresses (DSL providers in
Germany assign a new address to their customers evers 24 hours to
prevent them from running servers on consumer lines) and accessing a
service via the VPN will not break sessions when the client's "real"
IP address changes.

Greetings
Marc