Best Practices for Authoritative Servers

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Thu Jan 31 20:39:43 UTC 2008

This brings to mind a point I am confused about.  What causes bind9
to mark a query-response as authoritative?  Is it sufficient that the
data come from a zone configured in this nameserver to be either
master or slave?  Or, does it matter if there exists an NS record that
points
at the nameserver itself?  The specific point is whether, you can
run a caching server also that transfers some select zones, yet answer
queries for names in these zones as if they were cached.

I couldn't find a quick answer with google or any of my books.

John