Dynamic update of virtual hosting domains

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Jan 30 02:16:18 UTC 2008

You can have multiple zone definitions refer to a "portable" zone file,
or you can enable Dynamic Update on the domains, but you can't mix the two.

If you have a shared zone file, you'd still need to take care to update
the SOA serial number every time you make a change, and to arrange for a
reload of the relevant zone data. If you don't want to reload the
*whole* nameserver every time a change is made, then you're stuck with
doing individual zone reloads, which, together with updating the serial
#s, hardly seems less ugly than doing separate Dynamic Updates.

You could of course use some sort of database backend to all of this,
but that seems like even more overkill, unless you intend for this to
scale to many thousands of domains.

         - Kevin