pure DNS forwarder

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 27 08:05:45 UTC 2008

In article <fngr0i$101e$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net>
wrote:

> Vasiliy Baranov wrote:
> >> Sounds like you're asking for a DNS proxy rather than a DNS server.
> >>

> > Yes, although people often use the term DNS proxy when referring to
> > something serving ordinary clients so the AA flag isn't important. In my
> > situation it is desirable for the proxy to be indistinguishable from
> > <another server> by the AA flag.
> >

> There is no such thing as a DNS proxy.

Many home broadband routers include DNS proxies.  Computers on the LAN
can point their resolvers to the router, and it will relay the queries
to the DNS servers in its configuration (usually learned from the ISP
via DHCP, but may be statically configured instead).  It doesn't do any
caching, and just relays the queries and responses without modification,
except for doing NAT.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA