max-cache-size doesn't work with 9.5.0b1

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Wed Jan 23 20:07:51 UTC 2008

(Catching up an old issue....)

At Sat, 08 Dec 2007 22:40:14 +0100,
Attila Nagy <bra at fsn.hu> wrote:

> I have a somewhat loaded caching only nameserver, running FreeBSD/amd64 7.0.
>
> I decided to try 9.5.0 just to see how well it goes, but it turned out
> that its memory usage grows endlessly (OK, limited by the total VM space :).
>
> I see this in top (the usage grows nearly every seconds, the machine
> gets some thousands queries per sec):
>   PID USERNAME  THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
> 16969 bind        5  96    0   727M   723M select 0   8:51 68.12% named.950
>
> The relevant parts from the config (cache-size set to very low, just to
> demonstrate the problem):
>         max-cache-size 32M;
>         cleaning-interval 15;
>
> This is the case with and without ISC_USE_INTERNAL_MALLOC.
>
> With 9.4.2 the memory usage does not grow above a given size:
> 17727 bind        5  97    0   131M   111M select 0  11:14 11.08% named.942

If you have time, could you rebuild named as follows

% STD_CDEFINES='-DLRU_DEBUG' ./configure; make

and try again?  This won't solve the problem, but provide more
detailed log messages tracking the memory usage of the cache.  Make
sure threads are disabled (this debug feature is currently
thread-unsafe and trigger an assertion failure when used with multiple
threads).

Thanks,

---
JINMEI, Tatuya