Bind is crashing? How to troubleshoot?

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sun Jan 20 01:27:58 UTC 2008

Scott Baker wrote:
> I've been experiencing what appear to be random crashes on my Fedora
> 8, Bind 9.5.0 install. The server will stay up for about 8 hours
> serving about 200 queries per second no problem, and then it appears
> to randomly crash. I've also tried 9.4.2 from source and experienced
> the same problem.
>
> The named service will stop running, the pid file remains in place
> with a now invalid pid in it. I'm thinking this means that the
> service crashed or did not exit cleanly. Shouldn't it remove the pid
> file on a clean exit?
>
> Checking the logs I see NOTHING about why the service stopped. Is
> there a debug mode, or another way I can determine when/why this is
> crashing?

You don't say which specific version of 9.5.0. That version is not
released which means that you must be running an alpha or beta version
of it. You should have gotten a core dump. If you didn't there should be
some information in the ARM about what you need to do to get that to
happen. Is there absolutely nothing in the logs whatsoever? Are you
running out of memory? You may need to limit your memory use. Again look
at the ARM.

If you do get a core dump, file a bug report at bind9-bugs at isc.org so
that they can take a look at it.

Danny