turning on recursion in bind 9.2.2 makes ssh login prompt slow

Alan Clegg Alan_Clegg at isc.org
Wed Jan 16 16:58:44 UTC 2008

r37ribution at gmail.com wrote:
>> Note that since you are in a controlled environment, I'd recommend that
>> you could also become authoritative for the zones that the inverses are
>> being queried against...
>>
>> In other words:  become the master of your domain.  :)
>
> Please explain.

If you are using 192.168.x.y internally (the source from which you ssh),
then your nameserver should be authoritative for x.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

You said that your server is not connected to the Internet, so you'll
never be able to successfully "dig +trace -x 209.85.137.83" as it is
doing a lookup of 83.137.85.209.in-addr.arpa starting from queries to
the root (which you can't do).

The "become master of your domain" was an attempt at humor based on a
Seinfeld episode:  http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheContest.htm

AlanC
--
Alan Clegg