turning on recursion in bind 9.2.2 makes ssh login prompt slow

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jan 16 14:41:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 09:30:00AM -0500,
 r37ribution at gmail.com <r37ribution at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 120 lines which said:

> I remembered reading that BIND has its own default root servers

Right, see Chris Thompson's message.

> Here is dig with +trace:

It shows that you cannot reach the root name servers.

> FYI, this DNS server is on an isolated network so it doesn't need to
> get out to the world.

In that case, the best solution, IMHO, is to set up a dummy root, with
only your domains inside. That way, the name server will reply
immediately with a NXDOMAIN (or an IP address if you put in-addr.arpa
domains in your dummy root) to the sshd queries.