Bind behind a DMZ?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jan 8 01:02:57 UTC 2008

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Vincent Yonemitsu wrote:
>
> > It doesn't seem to be working. Is this kind of thing ok
> > to do with bind? I have done it before with other DNS Servers but this is
>

> Your zone entry in named.conf should reflect this by use of "allow-query"
>
> eg:
>
> acl "trust" {
>          localhost;
>          localnets;
>          192.168.0.0/24;
> };
>
> acl "remotedns" {
>          1.2.3.4;
>          5.6.7.8;
> };
>

> zone "example.com"  {
>          type master;
>          file "example.com";
>          allow-update { none; };
>          allow-transfer { trust; remotedns; };
>          allow-query { any; };
> };
>   -OR-
> zone "example.com" {
>          type slave;
>          file "example.com";
>          masters { 1.2.3.4; };
>          allow-query { any; };
> };
>
> ....It's also been years since I've changed the way I do trusted acl's,
> but I'm sure now days you don't need to include localhost or localnet as
> bind gets this from interfaces at startup and only need IP ranges
> not in the /24 (Mark? correct?)

	The default is { localhost; localnets; }; for allow-query-cache
	and allow-recursion.  If however you set either one of these
	or set allow-query the defaults are overriden with what you have
	in the relevent acls.

	allow-recursion and allow-query-cache cross inherit.
	allow-recursion and allow-query-cache inherit from allow-query
	if neither is set and allow-query is set.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org