Base domain resolution

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 27 06:22:42 UTC 2008

In article <fq05b5$7g0$1 at sf1.isc.org>, J <usenet at linuxnuts.net> wrote:

> For years I've been taught to never put an A record on a base domain
> (domain.tld).  I know that just about every major domain does this
> these days but that doesn't make it right.  I'd like to be able to
> support my losing position with technical answers so I can point out
> the potential and future problems before they come back and bite us on
> the ass (a CYA measure for me since I know I will lose this fight).
> As I recall it, there were a number of technical reasons why one
> should not have the base domain resolve to anything but I'm afraid I
> no longer remember what all the reasons are any more.  A couple cheesy
> ones come to mind:

If you're using a third-party web hosting service, using the base domain
can make things harder.  You can configure a "www" name as a CNAME to
their server hostname, and they can use whatever technology they want in
their domain to perform load balancing and failover.  But you can't make
your base domain a CNAME, you have to hard-code an IP.

A common solution to this is to have the base domain point to your own
server, that just performs a redirect to the www URL.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA