Some techinical questions regarding bind Data

Alex Ponnath alexp at iccinternet.com
Sun Feb 24 16:32:15 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am in the process of building a Frontend to my bind Servers and before
I do so I have some
Technical questions regarding data etc. I hope someone can either answer
them or point me
To a resource where I can find them. Google was not too much of a help.

a) What is the maximum character length of a hostname
b) What is the maximum character length of a domain name
c) Does the maximum character length for the domain name apply to the
whole part of the domain name
inc sub domains etc ?
d) Is the a overall max length the combined fully qualified host name
can have (host name + domain part)
e) Is there a limit how many sub domain levels there can be like
"lax.ca.us.acme.com"

Thanks for anyone who can give me some info on these topics

Alex