view for a zone?

Noah McNallie lists at xzziroz.net
Thu Feb 21 11:06:18 UTC 2008

Tom Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run Bind 9.4 with several domains and zones. For only one domain I have to give the clients differents answers depending on their source-IP-address.
>
> Looking into the documentation how to do this I found the concept of views. But according to the docs, views are only possibly on a global scale which means for all domains.
> Is it possible to set up a view only for one of the hosted domains?
>
> Or, if not, is there another solution to this problem beside views?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom.

"In order to present a version of a zone to only some queriers, you need
to define the zone within a view. You simply use a zone statement as a
view substatement. Otherwise, its syntax is the same as if it were a
top-level statement. Note that if you define even one zone within a
view, all of your zones need to be defined inside views."

This is from the "views in bind9" article on oreillynet:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/networking/news/views_0501.html

what it is saying is that if one wishes a zone (a domain, have you) to a
specific "view", then the zone must be defined inside of the view
definition.

Noah McNallie