Recursion ceases for 5-10 minutes at random intervals throughout, the day

Bill Springall springall at fuse.net
Thu Feb 21 06:02:10 UTC 2008

I apologize, Daniel, I lost your message at work...

We did run into the same problems, from what I have heard from the
previous DNS admin.   He was actually a little nervous about me opening
the cache on the servers with this new release under customer load.  To
appease him after the problem cropped up I added the old values back
into our include for named.conf (with his comments) for some soak time:

         max-cache-size 400m;    //max cache size 400MB
         cleaning-interval 30;   //clean cache every 30 minutes
and
         max-cache-ttl 60;       //limit cached records to a 60s TTL
         max-ncache-ttl 60;      //limit cache neg. resp. to a 60s TTL

I'm glad the developers fixed the issues.   I have wondered how much
work those last servers actually had to do to keep up.

Unfortunately, I can't lock down the ip blocks any further, although I
have certainly wanted to after a select few abusive customers have tried
to go on all night nxdomain/servfail-fests.

Thanks for your response!

- Bill

 > We had similar problems with earlier BIND versions, once the cache size
 > hit certain level, server started to drop queries at short, irregular
 > intervals. We have found out that there was a relation to regular cache
 > maintenance bind does. The problem disappeared in later versions when
BIND