Recursion ceases for 5-10 minutes at random intervals throughout the day

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Thu Feb 21 00:01:56 UTC 2008

At Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:48:00 +0100 (CET),
Daniel Ryslink <daniel.ryslink at telekomaustria.cz> wrote:

> We had similar problems with earlier BIND versions, once the cache size
> hit certain level, server started to drop queries at short, irregular
> intervals. We have found out that there was a relation to regular cache
> maintenance bind does. The problem disappeared in later versions when BIND
> started to use more efficient memory allocator, but you might have heavier
> querry traffic.

The cache maintenance (cleaning) overhead might be related to the
issue, but I personally doubt it's the case for this problem.  As I
replied in a separate response, it normally causes query drops, rather
than SERVFAIL errors.

BTW, the "more efficient memory allocator" is enabled by default as of
BIND 9.4 (which the OP uses), so it's not helping, unfortunately.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.