Domain unresolved in Singapore

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Feb 19 08:43:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 03:30:48PM +0700,
 Kadek Hendra Lesmana <ikadek at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 10 lines which said:

> Why this address is unresolved in Singapore but it's okay in Germany?
> I checked with DNS Report from DNS-Stuff and no error, only some
> warning.

Bad tools, use another tool.

Zonecheck (http://www.zonecheck.fr/) clearly indicates the problem:
only two name servers and probably in the same room, which means that
any network glitch will prevent name resolution. Use more diverse name servers.

w> IP addresses are likely to be all on the same subnet
 | Adv: ZoneCheck
 |   To avoid loosing all connectivity with the authoritative DNS in case
 | of network outage it is advised to host the DNS on different networks.
 |
 | Ref: IETF RFC2182 (Abstract)
 |   The Domain Name System requires that multiple servers exist for every
 | delegated domain (zone). This document discusses the selection of
 | secondary servers for DNS zones. Both the physical and topological
 | location of each server are material considerations when selecting
 | secondary servers. The number of servers appropriate for a zone is also
 | discussed, and some general secondary server maintenance issues
 | considered.
 `----- -- -- - -  -
 :   All the servers are likely to be on the subnet 222.124.211.224/28,
 : try moving some of them to another subnet.
 `..... .. .. . .  .
=> generic

w> Nameservers are all part of the same AS
 | Adv: ZoneCheck
 |   To avoid loosing all connectivity with the authoritative DNS in case
 | of a routing problem inside your Autonomous System, it is advised to
 | host the DNS on different AS.
 :   All the nameservers are part of the same Autonomous System (AS number
 : 17974), try to have some of them hosted on another AS.
=> generic