Calculating QPS

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Feb 18 21:50:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Baird, Josh wrote:

> What is the best method to calculate how many queries per second an
> individual BIND server is serving?
>

> +++ Statistics Dump +++ (1203368939)
>
> success 2599315
>
> referral 1
>
> nxrrset 250387
>
> nxdomain 2962375
>
> recursion 2011873
>
> failure 404630
>
> --- Statistics Dump --- (1203368939)
>

> Would you divide the "success" numbers by 1203368939, or would you add
> success+failure+recursion together and divide?

Don't use just 1203368939.

Also add nxrrset and nxdomain.

That number 1203368939 is epoch time:

 $ date -r 1203368939
 Mon Feb 18 15:08:59 CST 2008

(I use a BSD date with -r :)

See the ARM[1]:

 "Each query received by the server will cause exactly one of success,
 referral, nxrrset, nxdomain, or failure to be incremented, ..."

Maybe take two samples above and subtract the two epoch time stamps to get
the number of seconds. And add the above list and divide.

  Jeremy C. Reed

[1] or my printed, edited, indexed version of the ARM.