Delegation

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Sat Feb 16 00:58:32 UTC 2008

BIND 9.3 and later will use RTT with the forwarders list. (This is
better than round-robin.)

A server that forwards a query to another server will cache the
result. To suppress this, set your TTL's on the authoritative server
to a very low number, such as 5 seconds, or even 0. Note that this is
generally not good practice, but while you are testing, it may be
warranted.

If you were to somehow disable caching at the server by setting max-
cache-size, or something like that, the client machines would still
tend to cache records. Setting a low TTL solves that problem as well,
although some clients (e.g. Mac OS X's resolver service) will still
cache for some amount of time (typically applying a minimum of no more
than 1 minute).

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice
Address: Noatun 17, IS-105, Reykjavik, Iceland
Phone:   +354 412 1500
Email:   cbuxton at menandmice.com
www.menandmice.com

Men & Mice
We bring control and flexibility to network management

This e-mail and its attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information only intended for the person or entity to which
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination,
distribution or copy of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and immediately delete this message and all its attachment.