Answers from com. nameservers

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Feb 13 15:19:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 04:11:14PM +0100,
 Adam Tkac <atkac at redhat.com> wrote
 a message of 127 lines which said:

> Could someone here please try explain me why all com. nameservers
> returns NS delegation records in answer section but all other
> servers returns them in authority section?

Warning: flamewar ahead.

The ".com" name servers (which use the Atlas software) follow an old
rule (which was also followed by old BIND implementations) which is
now widely regarded as incorrect.

On every DNS-related mailing list, this issue (and the subvsequent
flame war) pops every two or three months.

> If both behaviors are correct

Only one is correct, but since you cannot replace Verisign overnight,
a DNS client has to deal with both behaviors.

> then it looks that host utility is buggy

Yes.