Why no function to automatically add new zones to slave servers?

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Feb 13 14:25:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:10:02AM +0100,
 Sam M <sam.m at servwise.com> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> I was just wondering why there is no function in Bind to automaticly
> add/signal NEW zones to slave DNS servers?

No. There is currently no such function in the DNS protocol. So, it
would have to be done in a proprietary way, anyway.

There is a discussion at the IETF but no results yet:

http://www.bortzmeyer.org/files/draft-regnauld-ns-communication-00.html

> At the moment I have to add records to a slave zones file as well as
> a master zones file and transfer the slave zones file to my slave
> servers using a third-party transfer method e.g sftp, https

That's strange. Why transferring the zone files yourself when DNS zone
transfer is here?

> I've heard some mention security issues, but I don't see why that
> can't be overcome, surely it can't be as bad as having to resort to
> some third-party method which is probably more insecure than
> building a properly secure method within the bind program itself.

The main issue is control: most nameservers administrators certainly
do not want new zones to appear without any approbation from them.

The security issue is not a technical one: sure, we can design new
protocols, but it does not give us a trust model.

ns3.nic.fr is a slave for ".cl" and ".my". We certainly do not want
any of them to be able to suddenly be able to create new zones on this
machine.