bind 9.3.2

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Mon Feb 11 03:18:55 UTC 2008

Rok Potočnik wrote:
> running SLES 9.3, Bind 9.3.2
> serving ~1k zones, ~60k clients (caching) with ~1k requests per second,
> both authoritive and caching
>
> The problem is that named for an unknown reason hogs the CPU every now
> and then... Sometimes twice per day, sometimes once per couple of days...

A similar thing happened on my system as well. It was a case of :
network glitch -> slow resolving -> too many clients connnected -> cpu
load increase

Upgrading to bind 9.4 (on that box) doesn't help, we ended up getting a
bigger box.
You might try limiting the number of recursive-clients to the absolute
minimum that you need, and see how it goes. If it doesn't work, try
getting a bigger box :)

Regards,

Fajar