DNS client, OT?

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Wed Feb 6 20:59:20 UTC 2008

That's not how it works. It's up to the resolver logic to determine
how to use the DNS servers provided. Older OS's used them in order.
Newer OS's do not.

The exact logic used is something I've debated with other sysadmins
over recent years - my empirical evidence against their reading of the
docs. It seems to me that at least some stub resolvers will use
something analogous to RTT to pick a resolving name server;
documentation apparently suggests that there is network topology
optimization or simple cycling going on, depending on whether you're
talking about Windows or the BIND stub resolver.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice
Address: Noatun 17, IS-105, Reykjavik, Iceland
Phone:   +354 412 1500
Email:   cbuxton at menandmice.com
www.menandmice.com

Men & Mice
We bring control and flexibility to network management

This e-mail and its attachments may contain confidential and
privileged information only intended for the person or entity to which
it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination,
distribution or copy of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by
reply e-mail and immediately delete this message and all its attachment.