Question about running Pri Masters on VMWare

ListAcct listacc at ocosa.com
Wed Feb 6 20:53:26 UTC 2008

Mark,

It works just like a physical server (like a charm).  I run our
organizations primary on a VMware server after our primary died. The
virtual machine is CentOS 4.5 2.0Ghz 1GB and it runs fine we have a
hundred plus zones(small setup but it works, also flat files).  Our
slave is still on a physical box. We will add MySQL support on our bind
soon after we free of up some more physical boxes so should help out a lot.

You just need to decide or take sometime to see how much load you will
place on the virtual machine, number of zones, and etc; then allocate
the right resources.

You should be fine with a Physical box of  at least CentOS 4.5 Dual Xeon
2.4Ghz, 2-4GB Ram, Raid, GbE cards, and dual PSUs with only the masters
running.  Any additional load such as mail servers, web servers, sql,
and file servers, you should consider a dual core. Picking the right
server to run the virtual servers on is a plus.

I manage 9 physical boxes now, down from 17 so that should tell you
something.  Moving more towards VMware.  The free version is cool but
you can not change the CPU resources it is shared equally amongst the
servers, but you can set the virtual server to use either 1 processor or
2.  The ESX Server and VMotion will further your uptime as you can
allocate more specific resources and move servers real-time from one
physical box to any other if you need.  VMotion is expensive though.

Hope this helps.

--Otis