bind-9.5.0b1 problem on ppc64 : rbtdb.c:1532: REQUIRE(prev > 0) failed

Fajar A. Nugraha fajar at fajar.net
Tue Feb 5 02:44:49 UTC 2008

Res wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
>

>> First I build 32 bit rpm (ppc), which works fine on older ppc machine
>> (power4, CPU, 1GHz). This machine doesn't have the processing power
>> required for our needs. To give an idea of the workload, "rndc status"
>>

> What other stuff is it doing? if it is only a DNS server, CPU means very
> little, its memory that counts, however having said that,
It's a caching DNS server. In this case CPU matters a lot, as the old
box tops at 100% CPU usage most of the time, and the new box is between
30% - 60% (when it's working).
The new box has 8G memory. However, named seeems to use only a little
over 2G (this without any cache or datasize limit). Is there a way to
make bind use, say 4-6G memory? When I tried setting max-cache-size to
4G, named refuses to start :-P

> I've used in an
> emergency, a 2.0G P4 with a crappy IDE disk, and only 1G ram, it handled
> over 8K concurrent requests without issue for hrmm,
How do you determine 8k concurrent? rndc status?
A faster box should have less concurrent users (as shown by rndc status)
since each request can be processed quickly. I believe a more accurate
method would be to use number of queries per second.

> I think it took us a
> week to fix the old server box back up.... I dare say it would have alsted
> forever anyway.
>
> (we used Slackware though, none of this bloated RH stuff)

If you can show me a reputable vendor that can provide Slackware support
for a reasonable price, and works on a ppc box, and can run bind 9.5,
then I'm in. Official support (at least on the OS layer) is veeery
important for the big guys, it doesn't matter that we hardly ever use it
:-D

Regards,

Fajar