Leases on Dynamic Updates?

David Nolan vitroth+ at cmu.edu
Fri Feb 1 23:12:47 UTC 2008

--On Friday, February 01, 2008 14:55:19 -0800 Chris Buxton
<cbuxton at menandmice.com> wrote:

> Microsoft's implementation does not give identical IXFR's from
> different DC's. You cannot list multiple DC's in your masters
> statement and expect things to work right unless you use the multi-
> master option.
>
> And even the IXFR's from a particular DC cannot be 100% relied on -
> you need to use AXFR requests from your BIND slave in order to
> reliably get to a complete copy of the zone. The solution I've seen
> is, once per day or so, stop the slave, get an AXFR with dig, and
> restart the slave. This can be done via cron, of course, but it's
> hardly ideal.

Sounds like you would be better off to just disable IXFR's from the DC
completely, via "request-ixfr no;" in the named.conf.  (In an appriopriate
place of course, to only disable IXFR for that server, not all remote
masters.)

-David Nolan
 Network Software Designer
 Computing Services