bind memory usage

Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães leolistas at solutti.com.br
Thu Dec 18 01:36:31 UTC 2008

Peter Dambier escreveu:
> I can confirm bind 9.4 does run on an (IBM, not Intel) 486-SCL/2 with 16 MB.
> That cpu can address no more than 16 MB.

    i have tried running 9.4.3 instead of 9.5.0-P2 .... and got odd results.

    9.5.0-P2 right after start. Not a single query was made to it, just
the daemon started:

root at sede:/# pmap 26858
26858:   /usr/sbin/named -c /etc/bind/named.conf
[ ........]
 total     6644K
root at sede:/#

    with 9.4.3, compiled the exact way 9.5.0-P2 was compiled, threads
disabled, the very same config file.

root at sede:/etc/init.d# pmap 27726
27726:   /usr/sbin/named -c /etc/bind/named.conf
[ ......... ]
 total     8056K
root at sede:/etc/init.d#

    So, at least here, 9.4.3 seems to use more memory than 9.5.0-P2.

    i was thinking that maybe the fact i'm running on a MIPS and with
uclibc (instead of common glibc) plataform has some difference on
results you got from x86 platform .... do you think this could have some
relation to the memory usage ???

root at sede:/# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : Atheros AR7130 rev 2 (id:0xa8)
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 24K V7.4

    just for information, i'm also running squid on this RouterBoard
with 32Mb of RAM. After some config file tweaks, i got a stable memory
usage of about 5,5-6Mb. And that's quite stable even during peak times.
Of course all in-memory caches are disabled as well as disk-caches.
Squid is just running for blocking somethings and logging. Anyway, on
the same machine i did the memory usage tests above, squid seems to be
doing very well, stable memory use.

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues