Install problem

Fred Zinsli fred.zinsli at shooter.co.nz
Wed Dec 17 03:44:24 UTC 2008

Hello everyone

I am attempting to install bind (chrooted) on my debian etch server.

I frist installed bind using apt-get install bind9, then realized I wanted
it chrooted, so I uninstalled it and removed the /etc/bind folder
thninking I was being very cleaver.

I then went to install bind as per this article.
http://linux.justinhartman.com/DNS_Installation_and_Setup_using_BIND9

Now bind doesn't seem to want to install properly even when I just use
apt-get install bind9.

It seems the install is complaining about the original files in /etc/bind
that don't exist any more, and the install doesn't seem to rebuild/replace
them.

The install created a new /etc/bind folder with rndc.key only in it.

Now I am stuck as I don't have a clue as to how to resolve this.

Here is what I get when I attempt to install bind9

server2:~# apt-get install bind9
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  bind9
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/297kB of archives.
After unpacking 782kB of additional disk space will be used.
Selecting previously deselected package bind9.
(Reading database ... 33301 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking bind9 (from .../bind9_1%3a9.3.4-2etch3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up bind9 (9.3.4-2etch3) ...
wrote key file "/etc/bind/rndc.key"
chgrp: cannot access `/etc/bind/named.conf*': No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing bind9 (--configure):
 bind9

Any comments would be most helpful.

Regards

Fred