Where is the open recursion test?

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Mon Dec 15 10:52:01 UTC 2008

just try

dig -t any peter-dambier.de @<your-server>

If it tells you something about denic it is not recursive.
If you get the complete answer it is very likely recursive.

Something internal could have triggered the query but only
if your server is in /etc/resolv.conf.

Kind regards
Peter

Gregory Hicks wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:44:18 -0200
>> From: Leonardo Rodrigues Magalhães <leolistas at solutti.com.br>
>>
>> Gregory Hicks escreveu:
>>> Greetings:
>>>
>>> Seeing in my named.log entries for "too many timeouts resolving
>>> '<some-domain-not-seen-before>'..." makes me wonder if my server is an
>>> open recursive server.
>>>
>>> Where is the test please for open recursion so I can check?
>> http://dns.measurement-factory.com/cgi-bin/openresolvercheck.pl
>
> Thanks!  But I tried that about 6 hours earlier today.  It said address
> 64.139.55.108 had status "untested".  It also said that if I wanted my
> address retested, make a TCP connection to
> dns-surveyor.measurement-factory.com port 999 (e.g., with telnet) from
> the address to be tested.  I did THAT also. So far, nothing.
>
> Any other ideas?

> Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
>                                         | Direct:   408.569.7928
>
> People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
> stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell
>
> The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  -- Thomas Jefferson
>
> "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they
> be properly armed." --Alexander Hamilton

Peter and Karin Dambier
Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana
Rimbacher Strasse 16
D-69509 Moerlenbach-Bonsweiher