DNS Master server migration.

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Thu Dec 11 07:42:12 UTC 2008

Step 1: Set up the new master as a clone of the old master.

Step 2: Reconfigure/demote the old master to the status of slave. All
other slaves will continue to get updates from the old master/new
slave, and the magic of DNS notify will make replication from new
master to old master to others quick and painless, once you have
completed...

Step 3: Update the NS RRsets and SOA records of all zones to reflect
the existence of the new master. This will cause DNS notify to
function properly. Make sure you update the zone serial numbers as well.

Step 4: Reconfigure all slaves to refer to the new master instead of
(or in addition to and in preference to) the old master. This will
allow you to remove the old master if you wish to do so, and will make
the chain of replication that much shorter and more reliable.

Step 5: If you plan to remove the old master, go ahead and do so in
all locations: registration records (delegation and glue records at
parent zone(s)), zone NS records, possibly even the old master's A
record. Wait a few days after doing this before...

Step 6: Finally retire the old master.

Chris Buxton
Men & Mice