DDNS and allow-update declarations

Nicholas F Miller Nicholas.Miller at Colorado.EDU
Wed Dec 10 19:09:50 UTC 2008

Barry & Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick replies. your responses go along with my findings
as well. I am trying to clean up some of our configs. The DDNS zones
just didn't look right to me and I wanted to confirm what I was
thinking.

Jonathan, I tested things on a test DC by pointing it at a DNS server
here that wasn't athoritative for its zone. When I made a change the
update happened almost immediately on the master server. This behavior
follows the logic of updates following the SOA.

Barry, from what I can find I don't think the slave needs to be listed
nor does the master in the allow-update directive. If I have time
tomorrow I might test this out in our test AD.
Nicholas Miller, ITS, University of Colorado at Boulder