named-checkconf error

Steve Shockley steve.shockley at shockley.net
Sun Dec 7 01:48:13 UTC 2008

I'm running BIND 9.4.2 on OpenBSD 4.3.  I'm getting some errors with
named-checkconf I don't really understand.  I'm running:

named-checkzone -t /var/named capmarksecurities.com
/master/db.capmarksecurities.com

and I get:

zone capmarksecurities.com/IN: getaddrinfo(quarantine1.capmark.com)
failed: non-recoverable failure in name resolution
zone capmarksecurities.com/IN: getaddrinfo(quarantine2.capmark.com)
failed: non-recoverable failure in name resolution
zone capmarksecurities.com/IN: getaddrinfo(mailhost3.capmark.com)
failed: non-recoverable failure in name resolution
zone capmarksecurities.com/IN: getaddrinfo(mxo1.capmark.com) failed:
non-recoverable failure in name resolution
zone capmarksecurities.com/IN: getaddrinfo(mxo2.capmark.com) failed:
non-recoverable failure in name resolution
zone capmarksecurities.com/IN: loaded serial 235310359
OK

The zone file:

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 86400      ; 1 day
capmarksecurities.com   IN SOA  ns1.capmark.com. dnsadmin.capmark.com. (
                                 235310359  ; serial
                                 10800      ; refresh (3 hours)
                                 3600       ; retry (1 hour)
                                 604800     ; expire (1 week)
                                 86400      ; minimum (1 day)
                                 )
$TTL 300        ; 5 minutes
                         NS      ns1.capmark.com.
                         NS      ns2.capmark.com.
$TTL 900        ; 15 minutes
                         MX      10 quarantine1.capmark.com.
                         MX      10 quarantine2.capmark.com.
                         MX      20 mailhost3.capmark.com.
                         MX      200 mxo1.capmark.com.
                         MX      200 mxo2.capmark.com.
$ORIGIN capmarksecurities.com.
$TTL 7200       ; 2 hours
defeasance              CNAME   idealweb.capmark.com.
investorguide           A       70.60.19.129
$TTL 86400      ; 1 day
www                     CNAME   www.capmark.com.

This appears to happen with all zones with MX records that are in a
different zone.  The zone loads and seems to work as expected.  What's
going wrong?