resolving issue

Andy Shellam andy-lists at networkmail.eu
Sat Dec 6 13:40:49 UTC 2008

Binmakhashen, Latif wrote:
>  Bad  configuraiton like what? Would you mind to elaborate please?

How long's a piece of string?  Seriously - we will need more information
to even begin to help.

It appears as though the first server in your /etc/resolv.conf has
stopped allowing recursion from your server - it's been made
authoritative only, or restricted to an IP range that your server isn't
in.  Is this your nameserver or your ISPs?  Secondly, why do you have a
server configured in your /etc/resolv.conf that you know will time out?

Try the following:

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
search andyshellam.eu
nameserver 77.75.105.84
nameserver 77.75.105.85

# dig @77.75.105.84 an.internal.domain
# dig @77.75.105.84 an.external.domain

# dig @77.75.105.85 an.internal.domain
# dig @77.75.105.85 an.external.domain

i.e. for each server that's in your /etc/resolv.conf, see if you can
resolve an internal and an external domain (if you don't host any
domains yourself, then just try externally.)

Andy