how to configure bind in LAN

Tomokazu Isobe isobetti at isokiti.tv
Sun Aug 31 10:33:44 UTC 2008

Hi,

Now I'm seting up a name server in local area network.

I want to make this LAN name server resolve all the hostnames in LAN,
and forward to another name server in DMZ the queries for zones which
LAN name server doesn't has as master.

BTW, I have 1 domain [isokiti.tv].
I want to use this domain in both LAN and WAN.

====isokiti.tv zone on DMZ name server(for WAN)=====
..skip...
$ORIGIN isokiti.tv
dns	IN	A	[global ip address]
www	IN	A	[global ip address]
mx	IN	A	[global ip address]
..skip...

====isokiti.tv zone on LAN name server(for LAN)=====
..skip...
$ORIGIN isokiti.tv
win	IN	A	192.168.0.10
mac	IN	A	192.168.0.11
sun	IN	A	192.168.0.12
localdns	IN	A	192.168.0.53
..skip...

Each DNS has isokiti.tv zone, but the contents in each zone are different.

I tried several methods(view, forwarder, etc.), but cannot do what I
want to do.

When I dig sun.isokiti.tv from winPC in LAN to LAN dns, then I can get a
correct response from LAN dns.

But when I dig mx.isokiti.tv from winPC in LAN to LAN dns, then I cannot
get a correct response from LAN dns.
(LAN dns doesn't forward this query to DMZ dns but responses NXDOMAIN)

I don't know how to forward its query to DMZ dns
if LAN dns don't know it when I query xxx.isokiti.tv to LAN dns.

Is there any way to do it above?

Actually, it comes true if I write all my A records in zone file, but I
don't want to do so because private IPs are disclosed.

My BIND version is 9.4.2-P1.
And I'm ready to upgrade much further.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

--