Can internal root server also forward?

John Hascall john at iastate.edu
Tue Aug 26 20:37:34 UTC 2008

If I understand what you are asking, yes.
We are doing forwarding from a fake root server,
so it seems that it can be done (we are doing it for "NetReg"
[which uses a DNS which lies a lot, but in some cases we
want the truth so we forward those requests]).

An excerpt:

----------------------------<named.conf>----------------------------
zone "." in {
	type master; file "db.root";
};
zone "iastate.edu" {
	type master; file "db.iastate.edu";
};
zone "microsoft.com" {
	type forward; forwarders { 129.186.1.200; }; forward only;
};

----------------------------<db.root>----------------------------
@               IN      SOA netreg-1.  asw.iastate.edu. (
@                               IN      NS      netreg-1.
iastate.edu.                    IN      NS      netreg-1.
microsoft.com.                  IN      NS      netreg-1.
netreg-1.                       IN      A       129.186.1.16
*.                              IN      A       129.186.1.16
*.edu.                          IN      A       129.186.1.16
*.com.                          IN      A       129.186.1.16
*.net.                          IN      A       129.186.1.16

Hope this helps,

John