how to overcome underscore in A record

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Aug 26 03:27:57 UTC 2008

> You can do:
> this-machine in A 123.2.234.4
> this_machine in CNAME this-machine.somedomain.com.
> _ are allowable in CNAMEs because the RFC doesn't consider them "hostnames",

	Incorrect.  RFC 952 says that both aliases (CNAME owners)
	and the offical names need to be meet the same syntax rules.

	CNAMEs are not checked by named because they can point to
	types other than A or AAAA.  Additionally CNAMEs can point
	outside of the zone making it almost impossible to do the
	check when loading the zone.

	One could always add post-load checks of CNAME records to
	ensure that CNAME owners that fail to meet the host name
	rule don't point to A or AAAA records.

> but in the end getting rid of the _ all together is probably the best
> choice.

	Agreed.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC