Can internal root server also forward?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 26 01:38:50 UTC 2008

In article <g8vl2j$1a26$1 at sf1.isc.org>, joeunc <joeunc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Have an internal root server with zone db.root.
> Forwarding is not turned on as global option. Tried to add two forward
> zones with forward only into the root server and it would never
> forward. NXDOMAIN on localhost digs for that forward zone. If the zone
> is delegated in the the db.root file with NS  records it works
> obviusly, The internal root server is running BIND 9.2.2.
>
> Are there limitations on a root server having forward only zones?

It has nothing to do with being a root server.  You would have the same
problem if you were authoritative for foo.com and tried to configure
sub.foo.com as a forward zone.

Forwarders are only used when the server needs to recurse.  The
forwarders simply override the nameservers in the delegation.  Global
forwarders override all NS records, zone-specific forwarders just
override the NS records for that zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA