resolve hostname outside my domain

orak aurora.borealis.s at gmx.de
Tue Aug 19 12:11:05 UTC 2008

On Aug 18, 10:06 pm, "Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris)"
<and... at aernet.ru> wrote:
> Hello Karsten,
>
> Sun, 17 Aug 2008 03:37:59 -0700 (PDT) orak wrote:
>

> > Hello!
> > I have the following problem in the following situation (little
> > simplified).
>
> > ------------Internet------------
> >                            |        (external name: hhbgate.bonn.de)
> >                          Gateway
> >                            |        (internal name:
> > hhbgate.hhb.bonn.de)
> >                           --------------- local net, we use
> > hhb.bonn.de as domain name
>
> > on the gateway we use bind as dns.
> > Sometimes (not very often) the connection to the internet is down.
> > The following problem: internal user ask forhttp://hhbgate.bonnn.de/
> > If the internet-connection is up -> no problem
> > if the internet-connection is down -> no response
> > That ist not surprising but a problem to me. We use an e-learning
> > system named moodle which requires
> > a name of the site: we take hhbgate.bonn.de. So if our internet is
> > down we can't use moodle.
>
> > My question: is it possible to configure bind so that it resolves a
> > single name outside my domain.
> > I found only the hint that it is not possible to use an alias for a
> > name outside my domain.
>
> I assume that you're using BIND at you gateway as a caching-only server.
> The "hhbgate.bonn.de" label is a hostname (IN A), not a zone delegation
> point. In this case the simplest and the quickest method to still
> resolve this hostname to its IP address is to modify your named.conf
> like this:
>
> named.conf:
>
> zone "hhbgate.bonn.de" IN {
>         type master;
>         file "path-to-zone-files/hhbgate.bonn.de.db";
>         notify no;
>
> };
>
> path-to-zone-files/hhbgate.bonn.de.db:
>
> $ORIGIN hhbgate.bonn.de.
> $TTL 86400
> @               IN SOA          hhbgate.bonn.de. mailbox.domain.tld. (
>                                 2008081800
>                                 43200
>                                 3600
>                                 604800
>                                 10800
>                 )
> @               IN NS           hhbgate.bonn.de.        ; or localhost
> @               IN A            195.37.161.22
>
> A more complex but also more powerful way is to implement views. There
> are also some other possible ways to address your issue but they seem to
> be not convenient as the previous two.
>
> --
>
> Yours sincerely,
>
> Andrey G. Sergeev (AKA Andris)    http://www.andris.name/

Hello Andrey,
yes, that is a solution. Thank you very much.
After reading it I have ask myself: why I don't see this...
I think I look in the wrong direction. I tried to set up
a zone-file  for bonn.de and set up a forwarder, but this
does not work.
Thanks again
         Karsten