setting up reverse DNS to dozens of /24 networks

Hal Jackson hal_-NOSPAM-jackson at verizon.net
Thu Aug 21 22:17:03 UTC 2008

My client owns several dozen /24 networks but not an entire /16. All these
networks are contiguous, like

192.168.128
192.168.129
192.168.130
.
.
192.168.230

the parent nameserver at ARIN delegates these one at a time.

Is there a simple way of consolidating all these into one (zone) file, or
are many separate zones required, each with its own file directive in
named.conf?

ARIN doesn't like over summarizing your zone, so we need to specifically
match the hint record on the parent. (In other words, we can't just do a
168.192.in-addr.arpa zone on our NS because we don't own it all, and no SOA
records exist for 128,129,130,...230.

Any ideas other than many separate zone statements and files?