Recursive queries fail if query source port is not fixed

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Fri Aug 22 04:16:47 UTC 2008

I don't know if anyone experiencing these types of problems are running a Cisco PIX version 6.3, but there is a bug even in the latest 6.3(5) GD code which will cause 100% CPU load which is triggered by the port randomization of the DNS queries in recent versions of BIND. For those that don't have CCO access, a summary of the details are as follows:

CSCsc61300 Bug Details
 CPU increases with high volume of DNS requests using same four-tuple
Symptom:

A PIX firewall is experiencing high CPU levels.

Condition:

Certain DNS traffic causes the PIX to inefficiently track DNS activity. This
results in a large processing load on the PIX.

Workaround:

There are no workarounds.

Solution:

Upgrade to PIX software version 6.3.5(105) or higher. Alternatively, users can
upgrade to PIX software version 7.0.

-------

So you need to obtain 6.3.5(105) or higher from Cisco TAC or go to 7.x instead. I saw this on a Cisco list I'm on and thought of a lot of the people having odd firewall issues and thought I'd share. Hope this helps someone!

-Vinny