Weird performance issue.

Cedric Lejeune cedric.lejeune at arcelormittal.com
Thu Aug 21 12:36:53 UTC 2008

Tom Greaser wrote:
> IF so.
> What dose the upstream NS servers say is your NS servers are for your domain ?
> When  you do a dig what dose the output show ?
Currently, upstream servers point to the right IP address of the
production server. That is why I am trying to move this address to the
new server. That way, I thought I could switch thoses two servers
without anything but a very short DNS service failure.

> Or
>
> Are you just trying to point your local users to use the newer 9.5.0.dfsg.P1-2 package box ?
Kinda. Once more, I am only trying to move the official IP address from
the old server to the new one and remove network from old server to make
new server the official one.

May this help?

Current situation:
+---------------------+       +-----------------+
| current bind server |       | new bind server |
| official address    |       | address         |
+---------------------+       +-----------------+
            |                           |

Desired situation:
+---------------------+       +------------------+
| current bind server |       | new bind server  |
| address             |       | official address |

One thing I cannot understand is why the new server is running fine with
our mail server pointing at it as a resolver and it starts to timeout
and processes number increases as soon as I change its IP address to the
official one (of course disabling this address on the old server).

Thanks for your help,

Kind regards,

cedric.